Gaston Chapel is a historic African Methodist Episcopal church located at 100 Bouchelle Street in Morganton, Burke County, North Carolina. It was built from 1900 to 1911, and is a brick church building with a high-pitched hip roof and Late Gothic Revival style design influences. It features a Gothic-arched tripartite stained-glass window. It is the oldest extant, and first substantial, African-American church structure in Burke County.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
------St. George's Collegiate Church, Tbingen of stained glass window
The Stiftskirche is a church located in Tbingen, Baden-Wrttemberg, Germany. It is a late gothic structure built by Peter von Koblenz in 1470. The stained glass windows were designed by Peter Hemmel of Andlau who also designed windows in Ulm, Augsburg, Nrnberg, Mnchen and Straburg. It is the central landmark and, along with the rest of the city, the Stiftskirche was one of the first to convert to Martin Luther's Protestant church. It maintains (and carefully defends) several "Roman Catholic" features, such as patron saints.
Tower music is played from the church tower every Sunday.
------Gtugjgv of stained glass window
Gtugjgv (Danish: Gtegjov), Norragta and Sydrugta are villages that are located in the Faroe Islands. These areas are located at the end of an inlet which is called 'Gtuvk'. This is on the east side of the island of Eysturoy.
A new church has been built near Gtugjgv, and inside it has huge stained glass windows made by the artist Trndur Patursson from Kirkjubur. The church turned out to be two times more expensive than originally planned.
From 1980 until 1989 there was an upper secondary school in Gtugjgv.
------Politics of stained glass window
At parish level the village is represented by nine councillors of the Horton Parish Council.
At borough level the town is part of the Datchet Horton and Wraysbury electoral ward and is currently represented by three councillors, David Cannon (Conservative), Ewan Larcombe (independent) and Gary Muir Conservative), in the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.
Nationally, since 1997 the ward has formed part of the UK Parliamentary constituency of Windsor and is currently represented by Adam Afriyie of the Conservative Party.
Before 1997 the town was part of the UK Parliamentary constituency of Windsor and Maidenhead which was consistently held by the Conservative Party.
------Winfield Methodist Church of stained glass window
Quapaw Quarter United Methodist Church, formerly the Winfield Methodist Church is a historic church at 1601 Louisiana Street in Little Rock, Arkansas. It is a two-story brick building with Gothic Revival style, designed by the prominent architectural firm of Thompson and Harding, and built in 1921. Its main facade has three entrances below a large Gothic-arch stained glass window, all framed by cream-colored terra cotta elements. A square tower rises above the center of the transept.
The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
------Church of St. Francis of Assisi, Krakw of stained glass window
The Church of St. Francis of Assisi with Monastery of the Franciscan Order (Polish: Koci w. Franciszka z Asyu) located in the Old Town district of Krakw, Poland, is a Roman Catholic religious complex on the west side of All Saints Square at Franciszkaska 2, across the street from the Bishop's Palace residence of Pope John Paul II during his stays in the city. The Church dates back to the 13th century. Saint Maximilian Kolbe was a monk there in 1919, and led his first service at this church on Poland's return to sovereignty.
------Langinkoski Church of stained glass window
Langinkoski Church (Finnish: Langinkosken kirkko), is one of five Kymenlaakso-region Lutheran churches in Finland's Kotka-Kymi parish union. Located in the Metsola district of Kotka, the rectangular church was designed by Anders-Olof Bengts and completed in 1953.
The interior was constructed to resemble a medieval stone church; the hall can accommodate about 300 people and is wheelchair-accessible.
The church features Hilkka Toivola's colourful stained-glass window depicting Jesus rescuing a self-doubting Peter from drowning. The altar, pulpit and seats are of oak; the walls are of red brick. The pipe organ is a 17-stop instrument.
An annex houses the church office. Next to the church is a tall white belfry.
------Brick Chapel United Methodist Church of stained glass window
Brick Chapel United Methodist Church, also known as Montgomery Chapel, is a historic Methodist church located in Monroe Township, Putnam County, Indiana. The church was built in 1872, and extensively remodeled in 1912 in the Renaissance Revival style. A Sunday School addition was built in 1956. It features a large stained glass window, recessed arches, and an entrance tower. Also on the property is the contributing church cemetery established in 1839, with over 2,000 burials.:5
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
------Tryon Plaza of stained glass window
112 Tryon Plaza is a 280ft (85m) 22-story skyscraper in Charlotte, North Carolina. It was the second tallest building in North Carolina when completed in 1927, and the tallest building in Charlotte for about 35 more years. It is currently the 21st tallest building in the city. Located on "The Square" at the corner of Trade St. and Tryon St. adjacent to a pocket park, this building has a premiere location in Uptown Charlotte, also known as Charlotte center city. In 2006 it was sold for $12 million to the Simpson Organization.
------Notable residents of stained glass window
John Milton the English poet is one of the more famous former residents of Horton. His family rented Berkyn Manor, a house that belonged to Sir John Egerton, in the parish between 1632 and 1640. The chancel of St Michael's parish church contains the grave of Milton's mother Sara; and a 19th-century stained glass window on the church commemorates Milton's poem Paradise Lost. The current Berkyn Manor was rebuilt in 1848 by Edward Tyrrell (Remembrancer of the City of London) reputedly on the site of Milton's house
------Naval career of stained glass window
Talbot was the second son of the Rev. Charles Talbot, and Lady Elizabeth Somerset, daughter of Henry Somerset, 5th Duke of Beaufort. He joined the Royal Navy as a cadet in 1815. Promoted to Captain in 1830, he commanded HMS Warspite, HMS Vestal, HMS Maeander and then HMS Algiers. He was appointed Commander-in-chief, Queenstown in 1858 and Commander-in-Chief, The Nore in 1864.
He presented a stained glass window to All Saints Church, Down Ampney, Gloucestershire in appreciation after his ship survived a storm off Sebastopol in 1854.
There is a memorial window to him and his wife in the church of St. John the Baptist in Biggleswade.
------Links with the village from the Dictionary of National Biography of stained glass window
Anthony Jenkinson, merchant, sea-captain, and traveller married Judith Mersh of Sywell in 1567. In 1578 he bought the village from his father in law and moved to the village.
Lewis Atterbury was appointed Rector of the village in 1684.
William Lancaster (died 1717) - scholar; was married to a daughter of a Mr Wilmer from Sywell.
Admiral Sir Watkin Owen was the son of Samuel Pell of Sywell Hall.
Bishop Archibald Robertson (Bishop of Exeter) was born at Sywell in 1853.
William Tresham, Speaker of the House of Commons (died 1450) was the eldest son of Thomas Tresham of Sywell. He was also the father of another speaker Thomas Tresham (died 1471).
------Rio de Janeiro Cathedral of stained glass window
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Sebastian (Portuguese: Catedral Metropolitana de So Sebastio) better known as the Metropolitan Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro (Catedral Metropolitana do Rio de Janeiro) or as the Cathedral of St. Sebastian of Rio de Janeiro (Catedral de So Sebastio do Rio de Janeiro), is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of So Sebastio do Rio de Janeiro. The cathedral is the See of the Metropolitan Archbishops of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The church is dedicated to Saint Sebastian, the patron saint of Rio de Janeiro
------University status of stained glass window
In 1975, Whitelands College entered into an academic federation with three other south-west London teacher training colleges Digby Stuart, Froebel and Southlands to form the Roehampton Institute of Higher Education (RIHE). It operated independently, but its degrees were validated by the University of Surrey.
In 2000, the Roehampton Institute of Higher Education federated with the University of Surrey to become the University of Surrey Roehampton.
The University of Surrey Roehampton announced that it would submit an application for independent university status in late 2003. This was granted on 1 August 2004, with the name Roehampton University.
In 2011 the name was formally changed from Roehampton University to the University of Roehampton.
------Life of stained glass window
A Dane of noble birth, Henry is said to have been directed by a vision to make good his escape from a marriage his parents were endeavouring to force upon him, and to serve God all his days as a hermit on Coquet. He landed at Tynemouth, and obtained the prior's consent to build a small cell on the island.
He died there in 1127. He is venerated as a saint in the Catholic Church. There is a stained glass window in the church of St Thomas of Canterbury in Deal, Kent, England, showing an image of 'St Henry the Dane'. He is wearing a horned helmet.
------Origins of the name of stained glass window
Old Cuban constructions inherited from the Spaniards have multicolored or polychrome glass on their windows. In Spanish these are called in "Vitral". They resemble the stained glass windows of a church but on a smaller scale. The magazine's name was intended to symbolize the need for transparency and a plurality of ideas in Cuba. The Vitral was intended to act as a window for Cuba and the people of Cuba to see the outside world
------Notable works of stained glass window
McLellan's work can be found in churches and buildings around Scotland including:
Cambuslang Old Parish
Te Deum Laudmus in Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church, Glasgow
Ten windows depicting scenes from John Bunyans Pilgrims Progress in the Robin Chapel of the Thistle Foundation
Cardross Parish Church: Windows on the theme Recurrent Creation comprise four pairs of lights, illustrating the flow of creation through the seasons of the year.
Pluscarden Abbey Marian window celebrates the Virgin Mary, and depicts the cosmic battle between good and evil.
------Aughleam of stained glass window
Eachlim (sometimes anglicized as Aughleam or Aghleam) is a Gaeltacht village and townland in County Mayo, Ireland. It lies on the Mullet Peninsula in Erris, on the R313 regional road. It has a total area of 2.96 km. Its name derives from Irish Each (horse) and Lim (leap), as local folklore has it a horse leapt from the east of the townland to the west, marking out its borders.
------Philip Hewett of stained glass window
Philip Hewett (7 September 1799 in London 15 December 1879 in Binstead, Isle of Wight) was an English first-class cricketer associated with Cambridge University who was active in the 1820s. He is recorded in one match in 1820, totalling 2 runs with a highest score of 2.
Hewett was educated at Winchester and St John's College, Cambridge. After graduating he became a Church of England priest and was rector of Binstead for forty-six years, from 1833 until his death. He is remembered in Holy Cross Church, Binstead, by a stone tablet and a stained-glass window.
------Wilfred Fuller (bishop) of stained glass window
Wilfred Eastland Fuller (19001950) was an Anglican bishop.
He was educated at Wycliffe College and began his ordained ministry as a curate at St Luke, St John. He held incumbencies at Addington, Norton and Halifax. He was Rector of the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist (Saskatoon) and Dean of Saskatoon from 1943 to 1949, when he became the Diocese's second bishop.
There is a memorial stained glass window to him at the cathedral
------Biography of stained glass window
According to Houbraken he was a good glass painter who lived in the period of Wybrand de Geest. A stained glass window by his hand depicting the Flight into Egypt was commissioned by the carpenter's guild for their church in Sneek. Of this glass it was said that it could rival the works of the Crabeth brothers in Gouda.
According to the RKD he was a draughtsman who possibly made drawings of the funeral of Ernst Casimir in 1632.
------St. Peter's Episcopal Church (Oak Grove, Virginia) of stained glass window
St. Peter's Episcopal Church is a historic Episcopal church located at the junction of VA 3 and VA 205 in Oak Grove, Westmoreland County, Virginia. It was built in 18481849, and is a Gothic Revival style brick church. A vestry room and recept and a single round Angus Dei stained glass window was added in 1860. The exposed cross-beamed ceiling and roof were built in 18821883.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.